Aprons date back as far as the 1500s, when Women started embellishing them with expensive embroidery, bows and lace.
Distinctive aprons in history:
- Checkered aprons were worn by English barbers and Bakers
- White Aprons were worn by Stonemasons
- Black Aprons were worn by Cobblers
- Blue Striped Aprons were worn by Butchers
- Green Aprons were worn by Butlers
- Blue Aprons were worn by Gardeners or Weavers
Nowadays, aprons are worn in homes, bars, cafes, tea houses and restaurants.
Why Wear An Apron
Aprons have numerous advantages, such as:-
- Worn for hygienic purposes (your clothes have probably been in contact with the outside world at some point of the day and have been exposed to dust, dirt and germs).
- To prevent your clothes from spills during cooking, serving, gardening, painting, craft or cleaning
- Act as a protective barrier - protective clothing
An apron is a piece of clothing that you wear to protect your clothes and yourself while you cook or work. Commonly referred to as protective clothing or as a preventative piece of clothing.
Types of Aprons
There are numerous type of apron designs that have been created, here are some of them:-
- Half Apron (only provides protection from the waist down). Very popular as a cafe apron or teacher apron.
- Cobbler Apron (slips over your head and has apron strings either side of the waist)
- Full Apron (Covers the whole body in one piece of fabric)
- Bib Apron (Similar to a full apron but has a specific piece - bib attached to the waist)
- Retro Apron or Vintage Apron (has a swing like skirt feel to the apron)
- Old fashioned apron from the 1950s
- Art Smock
- Long Apron
- Chef Apron
- Bbq Apron
- Denim Apron
- Butcher Apron
- Linen Apron
- Plastic Apron
- Gardening Apron
- Cross Over Apron
- Cross Back Apron
- Apron Dress
- Hairdress Apron
- Florist Apron
- Bakery Apron
- Waitress Apron
- Barista Apron
- Protective Apron (medical field)
How do you wear your Apron Strings?
Do you tie your waist apron strings bow at the back or do you like the Chic Apron look and tie them securely in a beautiful bow at the front? or maybe you even like to tie them on the side.
You will just love the versatility of your Apron having extra long ties as you can achieve the precise fit you like everytime. Plus you can have different looks from the one apron just by fastening your apron strings differently - back, front and side.